Niagara Falls is one of the most beautiful natural borders in the world, but something more attractive than its immensity is the huge volume of water, about 2800 cubic meters per second, that falls from there naturally and permanently, without decreasing the water volume even in winter or summer, as it would be expected.
There are two ways to get to this destination, you could arrive directly to Canada or do it from the United States, whatever your choice is you can cross to the other side of the border carrying your passport and the occasional permit. However, the most common plan is to take a Niagara Falls day trip from New York, since it allows you to meet other destinations along the way and visit the place in just one day, saving you money on accommodation, time and additional transportation.
The falls become a visual spectacle for the assistants in any season of the year, still it is important to be clear about some details that will help you to have a great time. Below we share a few tips for enjoying the Niagara Falls the perfect way:
1. Entrance Fee
Fortunately, being able to enjoy this natural spectacle is still completely free, so don’t be fooled by unscrupulous people. In any case, the attractions that have been created around it, thanks to the volume of visitors, do have a cost.
In fact, the Canadian area has been proclaimed as the Las Vegas of Canada, so you can imagine what it is about. By the way, at each border of the falls you will find different options of hotels, restaurants and attractions with variable prices and availability according to the season.
2. Reaching the Niagara Falls
Two of the most common ways to get to the falls are from New York (USA) or from Toronto (Canada).
If you plan to do it from NYC you can take the 63 train from Penn Station to the Niagara Falls town, as you can choose between visiting the Canadian or American side this train makes a first stop in Niagara Falls in the USA and then in Niagara Falls in Ontario, the Ticket value costs close to $ 90 USD. You can also take a Greyhound bus direct to Niagara Falls or, if you prefer to save some money and go without haste, you can take a Megabus to Buffalo and then another to Niagara Falls.
Another option, highly recommended, is to travel on a Niagara Falls One Day Tour from New York where you travel in a private vehicle with your family and other excursion attendees. The travel agency picks you up at your hotel in NYC and takes you directly to the Falls without problems, without spending more and with an expert guide who gives you details about the history of each visited place. For only $ 169 USD per person you can spend vacations in Niagara Falls, travel quietly and comfortably. Make a reservation clicking here.
If you choose to travel from Toronto you can do it by bus in a 3 hours journey, the most popular companies are Megabus, Go Transit and Greyhound. In summer you can travel by train through WeGo Train, the value of the tour is approximately $ 30 CAD, it includes a round trip ticket with unlimited access to the WeGo tourist buses for 2 days, ideal for spending a weekend and visiting the attractions of the area.
You will be able to find all kinds of hotels, from hostels and Bed & Breakfasts to 4 and 5-star hotels, but regardless of the type of accommodation you prefer, it is ideal that you make a prior reservation, especially if you travel in high season, since the volume of tourists is such that prices go up and the availability of accommodation becomes limited.
4. How to move around the area
Getting around Niagara Falls is simple, it all depends on your taste and needs. For example, you can rent a bike – at your hotel or at shared bike stations -, walk on short trips, ride the WeGo bus network or take a taxi.
As we mentioned before, there are many attractions designed to amuse tourists and get them into the wonder of the falls, therefore there are passes that give you access to everything for a very good price. Some of the included attractions are:
- Entrance to the Niagara Adventure Theater where a film about the myths, legends and reality of the falls is shown.
- Excursion through the Cave of the Winds, where you will walk a path to the base of the “Bridal Veil Falls”.
- Excursion on the Maid of the Mist, a boat that sails to the base of the “Horseshoe Falls”.
- Visit and access to the trails of the Niagara George Discovery Center, a land that surrounds the area with natural trails.
- Entrance to the Niagara Aquarium where you will see up to 1,500 marine animals.
It is worth mentioning that these attractions are only available from April to October, during this period the weather is conducive to doing all kinds of activities.
Beside the plans that are included in the access passes, you can also consider:
- To observe the falls from the 236-meter-high observation tower, perfect for those who prefer to avoid getting wet but still want to enjoy the view.
- To do zipline over the falls, passing over them at 70 kilometers per hour, an excellent option for the more adventurous.
- Having a helicopter ride to enjoy the view.
- To enjoy the sunset at the falls, so you will see a light show on the water and fireworks.
- To explore more and enjoy special events, see more info here
6. The clothing you should bring
You have a 90% chance of getting your clothes wet, therefore it is advisable that you bring change clothes and comfortable shoes for long walks. Also, bring a rain suit to use when you hike the trails at Bridal Veil Falls.
7. Traveling with children
Traveling with children always demands a lot of your attention, as they can easily get lost in the crowd. However, Niagara Falls is a spectacle that they can also take advantage of and these are some of the attractions designed for them or to enjoy with the family:
- Visit the Butterfly House with more than 2000 specimens.
- Have a cable car ride.
- Visit the Fallview Indoor Waterparck, during summer.
- Enjoy games on the Great Canadian Midway.
8. Access to the Niagara Falls from the canadian coast
If you have arrived in the USA from a country with an ESTA agreement, you DO NOT require an entry visa, you may only have your passport stamped in the USA. But keep in mind that if you go in a rented car you must have a card stamped by the rental company.
If you arrive from a country without an agreement, you must have a visa. Get advice from the Canadian embassy in your country.
If you will get to Canada by plane, from the USA, you will need an eTA authorization which is obtained on its official website.
9. The best places to take pictures
If you are passionate about photography and you always want to take a great memory with you on your camera or on your social networks, these are the best places to get a good shot:
- Rainbow bridge
- Walk on the shores of the Falls (Canada)
- From the Cruise
- The viewpoint at the end of the tunnel in the Journey Behind the Fall
- Goat Island (USA)
Additional tips to enjoy Niagara Falls
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, especially in the summer.
- If you travel in winter, bring gloves, a jacket and a hat.
- Load a bottle with water, this can be filled in several troughs in the area.
- Avoid using the rails to sit, it is better to prevent accidents.
- Take your camera or your phone tied up, the chances of them falling down is very high since there are many people trying to take the perfect photo at the same time.
- Protect your camera or phone with a waterproof lining so you can get great photos and keep your gear intact.
To finish this article, we recommend you to plan your trip in advance, so you can take advantage of the best rates and hotel availability. Whether you choose to travel on your own or prefer to take a Trip to Niagara Falls from NYC, we are sure you will love this destination. It will capture your attention.